Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fringe and Feathers: Native Style



So I went to my first festival of the summer!!  Something along the lines of a music festival but with a twist.  This annual "Gateway Nations Pow Wow" is hosted every summer by the the American Arts Council, in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.  
I am part Cherokee and Blackfoot Indian-so this was the perfect opportunity to get a closer look my ancestry  and hang out with my friend J-No because everywhere we go I always have a blast or a blackout or both :)



Breathtaking!



The grounds were filled with men, women and children dressed in traditional dance costumes called Regalia.  These costumes were as about elaborate as you can get!! Adorned with every feather under the sun, leathers, suedes, furs, bones, bells, and whistles.  Every piece was strategically placed to serve a special function.




J-No and I spent the day watching the dance and ring competitions.  It was so amazing watching the dancers in action.  When they danced their regalia came to life and took on a creature like persona!!  There would be up to 20 dances on the stage at one time, it was truly a colorful and enlightening experience!!
I was having a picture taking good time



Necklace Fox Bag--had to highlight this!

Near the end I did meet this amazing psychic named Free Spirit..she was a ball of crazy energy!!
Defintly going to get me a necklace fox bag.

Kimono: RyVampd
Top: H&M
Shorts: Wet Seal
Necklace: J-No

xoxo
Wickett

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. These events need to be broadcast to the wider community, to celebrate our indigenous American cultures, which, in IMO, are superior to that of the invaders in so many ways. Also, I always enjoy watching the rapid evolution of your photographic skills. Excellent work and very thoughtful, exuberant observations.

    ReplyDelete